Thursday, August 24, 2017 This Week's Paper
Home News Entertainment Sports Police Blotter Advertising

Trojans make the most of new field with victory

  • submit to reddit
  • submit to reddit

The Fife Trojans girls’ soccer team bolted to a big halftime lead and set it on cruise control the rest of the way against the visiting Washington Patriots Tuesday night, Sept. 16, at Fife Stadium. The 8-1 Fife victory opened 2A South Puget Sound League play for both squads, and it was also the debut of the beautiful new Trojan Stadium Field Turf for a soccer match.


It was clear that the visiting Patriots were going to have their hands full from the get-go in this match. Fife scored five goals in the game’s first 19 minutes and could have easily pushed it deep into double-digits had they maintained their attack-mode throughout the second half.


In the fifth minute of the match, senior midfielder Brittany Pringle pushed past her defender while controlling the ball and worked her way to within 15 yards of the goal. Pringle then let loose a bullet that goalkeeper Kayla Abler was able to block, only to have it drop right in front of sophomore forward Katelyn Evans, who then put the ball into the goal and the Trojans led 1-0.


Two minutes later and Fife was at it again. Sophomore midfielder Courtney Morton was able to work her way down to the left side of the goal and sent the ball back into the middle of the box where sophomore midfielder Avery Newberry hammered the shot home. Fife now led 2-0.

A minute later, senior defender Maddie Michaud had worked her way up past midfield and having broken through much of the Washington defense on her own, continued on toward the goal and blasted a shot past Abler for a 3-0 Trojan lead.


At the 15-minute mark, Pringle received a long pass from Evans up the right side. Pringle beat her defender, angled toward the goal and skipped a shot into the net with the outside of her right foot. Fife led 4-0.


Fife then scored in the 19th minute when junior midfielder Savannah Way lofted a perfect corner kick into the center of the box where senior midfielder Kelly Oberbillig took the pass on the fly and scored with her left foot. Fife now led 5-0.


Washington put together an answer three minutes later when junior forward Alexis Dixon advanced on the goal and fired a shot into the back right of the goal, past junior goalkeeper Carlie Kilcup. The Trojan lead was now 5-1.


In the 38th minute, Pringle got off a half-shot that ricocheted off of the goalkeeper’s face and bounced right in front of Evans, who tapped the ball in for a 6-1 Fife lead.


Just before the half, Evans sent a long pass toward the left side of the Washington goal. Sophomore midfielder Courtney Morton got a foot on it at the last moment and tapped it into the goal. Fife led 7-1 at the half.


Early in the second half, junior defender Sydney Nevin heeled the ball backwards into the net. The Trojans led 8-1 and it looked as though the game might move past a blowout and become ugly.

It wasn’t going to happen though as Crudo directed his team to begin controlling and passing the ball around, stopping short of shooting on the Patriots’ goal.


For a team that was so obviously outpacing and outplaying its opponent, it was a pretty classy move by the Trojans.


“This new field is beautiful,” said Crudo. “I know the alumni liked the old grass field, but this is much more conducive to having successful teams. The community has really helped out their teams to compete at the next level if they want to.”